Singapore 12 - Clementi
The Clementi area is named after Sir Cecil Clementi Smith, Governor of the Straits Settlements and High Commissioner during the period 1887-1893. He was an accomplished Chinese scholar who spent most of his career in the East. He was so well liked that when he left Singapore in 1893, the Chinese community petitioned for his continuation as Governor for another term. Part of Clementi used to be a swampland. The other part comprised kampongs and villages with squatter-type homes, backyard trades, cottage industries and farms. Clementi Town was developed in phases between 1975 and 1979. The town was the eighth town to be developed by the Housing and Development Board. The town was planned to be self-sufficient to accommodate an adequate range of facilities and services with employment opportunities.
Clementi Central Post Office
Block 449 Clementi Avenue 3
Clementi West Post Office
Block 727 Clementi West Street 2