Singapore 39 - Stadium
In the early 1930s, reclamation of the Kallang Basin for the construction of the Kallang Airport took place. The aerodrome, together with a seaplane anchorage, wharfs, hangars, workshops and a terminal building, was completed in early 1937. The Kallang Airport was officially closed in 1955 and all the hangars, except the terminal building, were moved to the new airport at Paya Lebar. The old buildings at Kallang Airport were converted to the People's Association Headquarters, Youth and Sports Centre, Central Manpower Base and PWD workshops.
The Old Kallang Airport (circa 1960)
Designed by RJ Hollid-Bee, Nicoll Highway was completed in 1956 and named after the previous governor, Sir John Nicoll (1952 - 1955). It was later renamed Merdeka Bridge to commemorate Singapore's struggle for independence and was the longest prestressed concrete bridge in South East Asia then.