Singapore 49 - Changi Coast
Changi was famous for its coconut plantations in the 1800s. The terrain of the area is generally flat except for three main hill areas namely the Battery Hill, The Fairy Point Hill and Temple Hill. As early as 1845, it was already a fashionable resort for picnic parties. The open land and sandy beach along Nicoll Drive offered a peaceful hideaway. In 1926, the British cleared the plantations and the steep coastal cliffs off Changi coast to build an Air Base. Around the same time, the Changi Hospital was constructed. The Changi Point area during this period was mainly used for military barrack and administrative quarters.
The Changi Bay Planning Area is located within the Eastern Region and has a site area of approximately 114 ha. It comprises entirely reclaimed land and is bounded by the sea towards the north, south and east.