Designed by municipal architect F D Meadows, City Hall Building was built between 1926 and 1929, and was originally known as the Municipal Building. It used to house the offices of the Municipal Council, later known as City Council, who were responsible, among other things, for the provision of water, electricity, gas, roads and bridges and street-lighting. Over time, the functions of the City Council were absorbed by other government bodies.
In 1963, the Public Utilities Board was formed to take over the remaining functions of the City Council in respect of water, gas and electricity. The City Hall was then occupied by the Public Utilities Board and various other government departments including the Prime Ministerīs Office. Owing to the increasing workload of the Supreme Court, in November 1986, the then Chief Justice Wee Chong Jin gave directions for the construction of 12 additional courtrooms in the City Hall Building, which had been allocated to the Supreme Court by the Prime Ministerīs Office. Extensive renovations were carried out on the City Hall Building between November 1987 and May 1991. By the end of September 1988, 6 courtrooms were completed together with the Singapore Academy of Law. Another 6 courtrooms were completed by the end of May 1991. The Supreme Court Registry and Library moved to the City Hall Building by the end of June 1991. Other occupants of the building include the Public Service Commission and the Industrial Arbitration Court.
The City Hall Building has had a relatively brief association with the Supreme Court. However, it has been the scene of many important events in the history of Singapore. The City Hall steps have regularly played host to the President, the Prime Minister, Cabinet Ministers and Members of Parliament during the annual National Day Parade. It was also in the City Hall that Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten accepted the surrender of the Japanese forces on 12 September 1945 on behalf of the Allied forces: the signing of the surrender papers was held in the City Hall Chamber, now part of the premises of the Singapore Academy of Law, while the formal ceremony took place on the City Hall steps. The first Prime Minister of independent Singapore, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, now the Senior Minister, and members of his Cabinet, took their Oaths of Allegiance and Oaths of Office on 5 June 1959 in the City Hall Chamber. The current Prime Minister, Mr Goh Chok Tong, and members of his Cabinet also took their Oaths of Allegiance and Oaths of Office in the City Hall Chamber, on 28 November 1990.
3 Saint Andrew's Road